A key part of Aspiration is recognizing that things won’t stay the same forever. This is where setting intentions comes in. Setting intentions starts with looking ahead and seeing new potential—seeing a future that is different from the way it’s “always” been or the way it will “always” be. It’s about considering what you want and setting the intention to move towards a future shaped by those wants.
And yet, it can sometimes be difficult to step back and consider what you want for the future, especially if you’ve committed much of your energy to managing the effects of past experiences. One way to help you identify what a hopeful future looks like to you is considering these questions:
- When am I the happiest?
- How would I like to stretch myself?
- What emotion would I like to drive my day?
- What would I like to bring to the world?
Along with these questions, here area couple of activities that can help guide you toward some ideas.
OPTION 1—THE PERFECT “NORMAL” DAY
Picture what happens during this day, starting with when you wake up to when you go to bed.
- Where do you go?
- What do you do?
- How do you interact with others?
- Who do you spend your time with?
- What experiences do you have?
- What details make it a good day?
OPTION 2—REFLECT ON VIDEO QUESTIONS
If you are someone who values setting goals (which we define as measurable steps you can take to live with intention) reflect on the following questions from the video:
- What goals do I have for today?
- Are these goals realistic for the time I have and where I’m at?
- What are my long-term goals? In what timeframe do I hope to accomplish them?
- What would I need to put into place to achieve these goals?
- How might my strengths help me achieve my short-term and long-term goals?
- How can I keep myself motivated?
- How can I be flexible with myself?
OPTION 3—REVISIT YOUR ASPIRATION BOARD
Positive affirmations are sentences you say to yourself to remind you of your value, how far you’ve come, and how capable you are of continuing your healing journey. They can serve as an anchor to this moment, as well as a tool to nurturing self-compassion.
So let's begin.
Select an affirmation from this list or choose one of your own.
- I am enough.
- I am learning to love myself.
- I choose happiness.
- I am moving forward on my healing journey one choice at a time.
- I have strength and power to take whatever comes my way.
- I can do challenging things.
- I am grateful for this day and the many possibilities it affords.
- I deserve compassion, kindness, and understanding.