It’s often easier to show compassion towards others than towards ourselves. This is why a great place to start with self-compassion is to treat ourselves with the same kindness we would treat a friend. For example, think of a time when you’ve had a friend who was struggling in some way. Maybe they had a misfortune, failed at something, or felt inadequate. Reflect on the following questions:
- How did I respond?
- What did I say?
- What tone did I use?
- What were my posture and nonverbal gestures?
- What emotions did I feel?
Positive affirmations are sentences you say to yourself to remind you of your value, how far you’ve come, and how capable you are of continuing your healing journey. They can serve as an anchor to this moment, as well as a tool to nurturing self-compassion.
So let's begin.
Select an affirmation from this list or choose one of your own.
- I am enough.
- I am learning to love myself.
- I choose happiness.
- I am moving forward on my healing journey one choice at a time.
- I have strength and power to take whatever comes my way.
- I can do challenging things.
- I am grateful for this day and the many possibilities it affords.
- I deserve compassion, kindness, and understanding.